Italian Wine Regions are vast, numerous, and delicious! Mia Francesca Trattoria is known throughout the Triangle as having one of the freshest menus in the Raleigh. Nestled in North Hills, our restaurant not only has the finest Italian fare in the Triangle area, but also includes the most complete wine list for your enjoyment; in fact, on Mondays all of our delicious wines are half price from 11:30 a.m. until 11:00 p.m.
In our new wine series that started last week, we discussed the history of Italian winemaking. Italy is indeed home to some of the oldest and most famous wine producing regions in the world.
This week our wine series centers on the quality and broad variety of Italian wine varietals. The term “variety” refers to the particular Italian vine or grape, while “varietal” refers to the wine produced from a single group variety. The wine label always displays the varietal name. Because of the high quality standards of the European Union, a wine using a varietal label must contain at least 85% of that variety. Our authentic Italian wine always contains 100% pure delight!
It is very interesting to note that Italy has 20 distinct wine regions:
- Northeast: Veneto, Trentino-South Tyrol, and Friuli-Venezia Giulia
- North and Northwest: Lombardy, Emilia-Romagna, Piedmont, Liguria, and Aosta Valley
- Central: Tuscany, Lazio, Umbria, Marche, Abruzzi, and Molise
- South: Campania, Basilicata, Puglia, Calabria, and the islands of Sicily and Sardinia
Only the finest of the four different Italian wine classifications are labeled DOCG and DOC:
- The term DOCG “Denominazione di Origine Controllata e Garantita” translates to mean the highest quality first-class wines available
- These wines must pass a taste test before bottling
- These are the 20 DOCG wine regions in Italy (listed above)
- The term DOC “Denominazione di Origine Controllata” which means that these wines were made under specific quality regulations
- The wine rules preserve the character of the wine unique to their Italian regions
- Wines can be named for the vineyard they come from, but not the grape
- There are more than 300 DOCs in Italy
As one of the largest producers of wine, Italy continues to set the stage for a continuous flow of unique and compelling wines that are enjoyed around the world. Luckily, you can find them right here in Raleigh.
Mia Francesca Trattoria offers only the most superior of wine selections. Our outside seating areas and warm and comfortable bar area give everyone choices. Our private dining areas are great for special events such as weddings, bar/bat mitzvahs, and intimate family gatherings. So for elegant fine Italian dining, look no further than Mia Francesca Trattoria. We serve the best authentic Italian cuisine as well as authentic Italian wine. See you soon!
**Make Mia Francesca Trattoria in North Hills a part of your weekend memories, your late summer gatherings, and your business activities. Show us off to your favorite out-of-town guests and your business associates by letting them experience the “Best in the Triangle” Northern Italian cuisine right here in North Hills, the heart of Raleigh’s Midtown.
Visit us here at http://miafrancescaraleigh.com
Mia Francesca Trattoria
Phone: (919) 278-1525
Tags: authentic Italian cuisine, authentic Italian wine, best wine list, distinct wine regions, grapes, high quality standards, Italian wine varietals, private dining, Raleigh at North Hills, taste test, vineyards, wine classifications, wine labeling, wine rules