Come to Mia Francesca Trattoria, located in Raleigh at North Hills, for the best authentic Italian cuisine. We launched our Italian wine series recently with a brief history of winemaking and since followed it by discussing the famous Italian wine regions. Last week we posted our most recent article on red wine varietals and this week we offer a review of Italian white wines from Mia Francesca’s wine list.
Although Italy is better known for its wonderful array of red wines, Italy’s white wines, especially Pinot Grigio, are very pleasant when compared to France, Germany, and Northern California. Tuscany, where our culinary roots come from, offers a very flavorful array of excellent white wines. The rich and sweet flavor of native Italian white grapes bring pleasure to the tables at Mia Francesca Trattoria and they go extremely well with our light seafood dishes, fresh salmon, and delicious desserts. Italian wine and our locally fresh food pairings make our dining experience a unique one. Of course, the finest Italian white wine is good all by itself, poured into a tall glass and savored with friends and family.
White Wine Varietals of Italy
Here are six excellent examples of white wines in the Italian White Wine Selection:
- Chardonnay—described as the “king of white wines”; Chardonnay is easy-to-grow, versatile, and is planted throughout Italy. It is also an important component of Champagne.
- Pinot Grigio—comes from a large wine producing region in Northeastern Italy; grapes can vary widely in color from silvery blue to grayish violet to ashen yellow; when produced the wines are white to slightly pink in color; the taste is crisp, light, and dry.
- Riesling—considered to be one of the world’s greatest white wine grapes; a balance of good acid and high sugar levels produces wines with considerable aging potential; taste is delicate, but complex as well as spicy, but fruity in flavor; a long finish.
- Grechetto—grown in Italy’s Umbria region, delightfully rich and nutty in character.
- Soave—Italy’s most popular dry white wine, located in the Western part of Italy’s Veneto area (east of Verona and around the town of Soave.)
- Arneis—a white wine grape that originated and is primarily grown in the Roero hills of Italy’s Southern Piedmont; once nearly extinct, it has made a good comeback in recent years; it can produce very good wines with the fragrant characteristics of apples, pears, and a hint of licorice.
Remember our pairing principles include delicious foods and wonderful wines for our special guests. Our Monday wine specials make the start of the week as enjoyable as one can get with 50% off all wines from 11:30 a.m. until 11:00 p.m.
Mia Francesca Trattoria offers private dining options as well as quality catering in the Raleigh area. Either way, you taste incredible authentic Italian cuisine while you make memories with family and friends.
**Make Mia Francesca in North Hills a part of your weekend memories, your Autumn gatherings, and your business meetings and networking events. Show us off to your favorite out-of-town guests and business associates by letting them experience the “Best in the Triangle” Northern Italian cuisine right here in North Hills, the heart of Raleigh’s Midtown.
If you like recipes, you should check out the video demonstration of our Executive Chef Zach’s making traditional Italian Biscotti!
Check out all of our Italian Food recipes!
Visit us here at http://miafrancescaraleigh.com
Mia Francesca Trattoria
Phone: (919) 278-1525